The Second Leiter Building (1891, Architect - William Le Baron Jenney). Leiter's Assignment to Jenney: "Create a complete and perfect building to house a single retail establishment, but not without the ability to subdivide if required." Leiter II tenants to date: Siegel, Cooper and Company (1891-1898), Various (1899-1931), Sears, Roebuck and Company (1932-1986), Various (1987-1997), Robert Morris University (1998-Current). Named Chicago Landmark in 1997.
The Second Leiter Building is located at the northeast corner of South State Street and East Congress Parkway in Chicago, Illinois. This landmark of the Chicago school of architecture gained fame for being one of the earliest commercial buildings constructed with a metal skeleton frame remaining in the United States. Built in 1891 the Second Leiter Building was designed by architect William Le Baron Jenney, who implemented the skeletal frame made of steel to make the design fireproof.