Historic Town Square and Courthouse in Denton Texas
An overview of the history of Denton County Texas Denton including the county courthouse and town square. Text and images illustrate the historic courthouse.
First Baptist Church Denton was founded in 1858 by twelve men and women only one year after the city of Denton had begun. The church was known as the Union Baptist Church. It wasn't until 1880 that the church was renamed First Baptist Church Denton. The Reverend H.S. Holdman was the first pastor. In 1873, the church acquired a piece of property and constructed its first building. It was a white steeped building which sat on the corner of Hickory and Cedar.
BACK IN THE DAY: THE ‘WHITE LILACS’ OF QUAKERTOWN — We Denton Do It
February is African-American History Month, an important opportunity to look back at Denton’s own intriguing past. Today we’re gonna look at the true facts behind the historical fiction White Lilacs (1993), Carolyn Meyer’s novelization of the forced eviction for Denton’s African-American Quakertown district during the 1920s. The stories behind the story offer critical reminders why Black History Month is so necessary to counter persistent political revisionism to our impaired public…