Autumn themed Pie decoration idea
Published on November 18, 2022
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Serving Size: 8 servings
Leaf cookie cutters are an easy way to make a decorative pattern on puff pastry. I used them for this chocolate hazelnut and pear pithivier.
First brush the pastry with a beaten egg, then press the cookie cutters into the dough, but not all the way through. use a knife to add the details.
For the frangipane I used
- •120g blanched whole hazelnuts
- •60g ground almonds
- •100g unsalted butter
- •100g dark chocolate
- •2 eggs
- •85g soft light brown sugar
- •Pinch of salt
- •1 tsp vanilla extract
- •3 tbsp cocoa powder
- •2 500g blocks of puff pastry
- •2 large conference pears
- •150g sugar
- •1 vanilla bean pod
- •650ml water
- •Peel and slice the pears in half. Semi poach in a pan with the sugar, water and vanilla for 10/15 minutes. Remove from heat and cool in liquid. Then strain and set aside.
- •Toast the hazelnuts in the oven or under the grill until light golden. Add in a food processor with the ground almonds and pulse until fine.
- •Add the butter and chopped chocolate into a bowl over a pan of boiling water to gently melt, Or melt in a microwave. Set aside to cool slightly.
- •Whip the eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy then fold in the chocolate mixture.
- •Add the ground hazelnuts/almonds, cocoa powder, pinch of salt and vanilla and mix.
- •Roll out each block of puff pastry. Decorate as described above. Add the frangipane in a circle in the centre, cut pear half’s into 3 and arrange on top. Brush around the edge with a beaten egg. Then add the top layer of pastry and bake for 50 minutes. (I baked it for 35 then covered it with foil for the rest)
You can try other cookie cutters for different designs, I have made a Christmas themed one too.